You came by so fast this year! I didn’t realize its back to school for the little (and not so little) ones.
Are your kids ready for school? My Techno is still having a summer hang-over even though his school started last Tuesday. I’m having a hard time convincing him to sleep early. I already bribed him with 1 scoop of ice cream, negotiated a good time for play and changed his bed sheets. But, no success…I still end up begging.
Mommies, how do you encourage your kids to sleep early?
Anyway, here’s a classic treat Techno and I baked last weekend. He loves oatmeal cookies! We’ve added M&Ms for a bit of color and excitement.
Do you like some? 🙂
You will need:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- ½ cup softened butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- Candy-coated chocolate pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sift flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and smooth. Add the egg and vanilla. Then fold the sifted ingredients and oats to creamed mixture.
- Form the dough into balls, about a tablespoon in size. Drop the balls down into the baking sheet and press it into cookie shapes. Decorate the cookies with candy-coated chocolates on top. Chill the dough for an hour if you don’t want your cookies too flat.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool slightly on the sheet before transferring to a wire rack. You’ll notice that the cookies are still soft when it comes out of the oven, but they will firm up as they cool.
- You can mix shredded carrots, chocolate chips, nuts, raisins or other dried fruits if you don’t want the colored candies.
- Store cookies in a container. Makes 25-30 small cookies.
Have a Fun And Beautiful Friday!